Sunday, September 27, 2009

"The Double Life"

Often times going away to college is a life changing experience. Many kids cannot handle the double life that needs to be balanced between their hometown and the college town. When I was home my mother did my laundry, made dinner, and did several other chores that I was not at all interested in.
It is not just the chores that keep many kids our age from going away. The emotional aspect of trying to balance friendships and relationships is very difficult. Before I went away I did not go more than a week without seeing my mother. I saw my friends every day. Now I rarely talk to my friends back home and every few days I call my mother. At the same time when I go home in the summer time it is difficult not seeing anyone who I see everyday up at school. You develop a strong bond with the friends up at school because you see them every day. 
Beyond emotional ties are several other reasons students have trouble living with this double life so to speak. With the lifestyle and freedoms attached to the college life, students are prone to slacking off and falling behind. Classes often have laid back attendance policies, the dorm life apt to lounging around often times and homework is not monitored heavily. As fun as it is here, several times I think what would happen to me if I did not have the work ethic that I have.

1 comment:

  1. Thats completely understanding, I like the fact that kids even approach the college life. I really feel that it teaches you about yourself as a person and how strong your are.college is def a handful in some peoples part but i feel that if your ambitious and you remind yourself the reason why you taking out so many loans and actually will take advantage of the money your spending then people will be fine.

    ReplyDelete