Monday, November 30, 2009

Green Street Hooligans

One of my favorite movies of all time is Green Street Hooligans. The movie takes place in England somewhere around the 1990's. Elijah Wood is a student kicked out of college two weeks prior to graduation due to his friend, or so called friend's stupidity. He left his drugs in Wood's belongings and he Wood was expelled. Then, the story truly began.
Wood precedes to travel to England to visit the only family he feels he has left in his sister. Shortly after arriving, Wood is introduced to Pete Dunham, Wood's sister's brother-in-law. He is a hooligan who follows the soccer team known as United around. These hooligans often fight other soccer team's firms. Pete tried convincing Wood to go home or do something else but he insists on coming to watch the game. After the first game, Wood gets caught up in the midst of the other teams firm. As they are about to jump him, Pete comes to the rescue to save little Wood from disaster. From that point on an awkward bond became relevant.
Wood and Dunham become closer than any two characters in the plot. Between bar hopping, fighting, and doing other hooligan activities, these two become closer than brothers. 
Throughout the story the hooligans fight and fight until one day the rival gang to United shows up and Pete heroically saves his family through taking a beating. The beating was so severe that Pete died. Through his death Wood learns that life has limits and they can be reached. He goes back to Harvard where he was expelled, makes his room mate confess and almost fights him. Instead of fighting though he is reinstated into the University and finishes college. It is a heart warming ending with a story full of action. 

9 comments:

  1. Green Street hooligans is an outstanding movie. I've only seen it once, but I loved it. I'm a big soccer fan (Man United reppp) so I'm familiar with all the big clubs having these elitist fan groups. It's crazy how it can become some peoples lives, but I guess it is part of the english culture. Even if you don't understand the extremism, you have to respect the commitment and loyalty the supporters feel for their clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about this movie and I really want to see it. People have told me how interesting it is which makes me want to see it more. I am a big soccer fan and I am always interested hearing about the so called “soccer hooligans.” Every team has their own crazy fans but soccer in Europe and South America probably has the craziest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite movies and it never gets old. It's insane to think that stuff like that actually goes down and how consumed with it people are. Although he dies at the end, I love the final fight scene.. It's nice to see a realistic movie rather than one where the hero is expected to make it out alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loveeeeeeeeeee this movie. it is one of my favorites of all time and i actually watched it last week!i love the plot of it and it sends such a good message. not all the fighting and everything, but the quote"it isn't knowing that your friends have your back, it's knowing that you have your friends back." i think that quote is so awesome. and the ending is so crazy, it makes me cry everytime lol but i love the movie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man this movie is easily one of my favorites. Such a great movie from start to finish. I mean the fight scenes are incredible and it is so amazing to think of just how passionate English soccer fans can really be

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great movie I love the transformation Elijah Wood makes from beginning to end. At the beginning he is a quiet and has no confidence. At the end he is a strong willed man who has been through alot. This movie is epic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Green Street hooligans. I used to play soccer in high school but not even that I just liked the storyline and the action. But I herd the sequel was horrible so I wont watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this movie ir pretty nuts, it sure is a good one. i saw this for the first time maybe a few years ago, or when ever it came out. the fights are unreal is this movie, alot of these dude in real life take a major beating, these fights are no joke ppl get real messed up, its unreal how this goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just watched this movie for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I fell in love with it. When I went home over break I made all my friends watch it and they loved it too. At first the movie bothered me because of everyone's accents but after I while I got used to it and it made me like the movie even more. The plot of the movie is excellent, the actors are excellent, and the fighting is amazing. Everybody who hasn't seen it should definetaly rent it and watch it.

    ReplyDelete